Binondo Food Tripping!
Boj and I toured Chinatown, Binondo last Saturday with the help of Ivan Dy's map: The Big Binondo Food Wok Map
Be ready for battle! Essential things you must prepare before food tripping yourself in Binondo:
1) The Big Binondo Food Wok Map- It's a user-friendly map that will help you WOK your way through your food tripping adventures. Going to a new place and asking strangers for directions? Bad move.
2) Small shoulder bag - any bag which clings to your body
3) Enough cash! Don't bring your whole wallet w/ important IDs in it
4) Alcohol, because your hands will get dusty and dirty
5) Tissue/handkerchief- because parts of Binondo, Recto (Manila in general) smells like pee and other things you don't wanna know
6) Pony tail (if you're a girl, err or a guy, heck whatever)
7) Umbrella
8) Extra bag, like those foldable bags or Shopwise/SM/Let's-Save-The-Environment-and-Not-Use-Plastic Bags. You need 'em for your loots! Because definitely a family member/friend will bug you to buy them hopia/siopao/mochi/tikoy/insenso
OTHER TIPS:
1) Start early: Boj and I arrived in Binondo around 9:30 am. Started eating around 10 am, and was in Gateway, Cubao around 3:30 pm (to catch a movie!)
2) The more the merrier: If you really wanted to taste every single one of the food places/food stuff in Binondo, I suggest you bring all your friends. All of you can share the bill. Therefore you saving money while getting to eat lots!
3) Use your map; use your head:
What Boj and I did was plot the places we wanted to visit then we created a route to strategically visit each one of them! Our route was
Ongpin - Oriente - Estero - Salazar - Buenavides - Gandara - Suzhou - Ongpin - then retraced our way back from LRT Carriedo! (in pink trail)
4) And oh, leave those damn jewelries at home
The food places we passed by the trail are the following:
1) TASTY DUMPLINGS: 620 Ongpin St., Binondo, Manila
Best Seller: Pork Chop Rice (as seen in the photo above). Pork chop that has been marinated over a special marinade (cannot quite determine what kind of spice they use, but anise-y in flavor), coated in rice flour batter and cooked into a crispy perfection. It reminds me of the pork chop I ate in Taiwan. Side ordered mixed dumplings: fried and steamed
Price: Php 99.00 for the Pork Chop Rice; Php 70.00 for the mixed dumplings
2) DONG BEI DUMPLINGS - somewhere in Oriente, back of Binondo Church
Best Seller: Dumplings (duh). They make their dumplings fresh!
3) BEE TIN GROCERY (also along Ongpin) - No photos. I bought an almond juice drink and Malaysian Milk Tea. Also, cute/pretty/nice ladies get discounts (like two bucks off your purchase mwehehe)
Side notes: Salazar and Buenavides area is fruit/vegetable stalls (carts?) galore! Also, most of the food places we should have tried were all there. Darn it, we shouldn't have started the day with rice even if we starved ourselves the previous day (true story)
| Obviously a gigantic piece of pechay |
| My first time to suck/nibble on sugar cane!!! Two pieces/one long sugar cane for 15 bucks! |
| Taiwan yellow camote! Bought a kilo for 50 bucks |
| Buenavides St. |
4) PINAKAMASARAP NA SIOPAI NA NATIKMAN KO AT NG KUYA KO SA BALAT NG LUPA *according to us* (the most delicious siopao my brother and I tasted in the entire planet!!) - The stall right beside Maki Place. Refer to photo below.
Price: Php 15.00 *just 15 bucks for the most delicious siopai in the entire planet!*
5) TASTY WOK TEA HOUSE - not in Ivan Dy's map yet, but it will be.
| Milk tea |
| Hakaw |
6) ENG BEE TIN- how could you not drop by Eng Bee Tin? I was coerced by my brother to buy all the rolled tikoy flavors.
Price: Php 30.00/pack
7) HO-LAND (not to be mistaken with Holland or Polland) HOPIA AND BAKERY- because really, the ultimate reason why I went to Binondo was to buy the mochi, like the ones I tasted in Taiwan years back!
Needless to say, I was a happy girl purchasing those damn mochi. The trouble of going to Binondo just for those little mochicakes!!!!
Price: Php 160.00/box
Other stuff in photos:
![]() |
| Boj praying to the gods |
| Incense |
Next stop would be Maranao food tripping in Quiapo. I don't know about this Boj but I will have to decline. Quiapo is just too scary a place for me.
Note: Thanks Boj for letting me borrow your photos :3













Comments
Post a Comment