Apple Pie

I'm a pie virgin! It's my first time to do a pie. (haha...)

Naturally, I would trust allrecipes.com for the fool-proof recipes attested to by thousands upon thousands of readers. But since I am a "pie virgin", well, I turned to Joy of Baking because there is a step-by-step video on how to make the pie, and being inexperienced with pies, dude I need all the help that I can get. (Click here to view the her recipe)

I want to share to you some of notes regarding the outcome of my apple pie:

  • The crust was buttery and flaky, however, I should roll it out thinner next time
  • Don't overbake your apple pie. The apples should be tender and not mushy. Mine was a bit mushy. Start checking on your pie after 30 minutes of baking. Stick a knife through the slits of the top crust and the apple should still be tender
  • Thicker apple slices - I think I may have sliced mine too thin
  • The recipe calls for 6 large apples. In the Philippines, we have medium-sized Granny Smith apples, I suggest you use 8-9 medium sized apples
  • The recipe only calls for 1/2 cup sugar (total). The outcome of my apple filling was.. too tart for my taste.


 I am not satisfied with the Apple Filling by Joy of Baking :( Hah, no let me tell you, I do not like it! I do not suggest you try out her apple pie filling. Next time I am trying out Grandma Ople's recipe. Overall, not bad for my first Apple Pie baking experience. :)

Comments

Popular Posts