Happy New Year + Food Post

Yeay! Happy New Year, everyone!

Fruit Salad w/ Red Egg, Crabstick and Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette
My meal last night: my oven roasted chicken (known to be a staple in the David residence), onion salad, and the Fruit Salad w/ Red Egg, Crabstick and Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette

I sincerely wish all of you guys the best for this year 2011. Aside from good wishes, I can only offer you new recipes you may want to try out! :)  |recipes after the jump!|

  • Fruit Salad w/ Red Egg, Crabstick and Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette
As much as I would want to claim this recipe as my own, I can't because this recipe I learned from my aunt. This is easily one of my favorite salads of all time because it has two of my favorite things: crabsticks and red egg (pulang itlog!)

Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette:

1 head of crushed garlic (or grated garlic)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
salt, pepper (and a bit of sugar) to taste
dried dill or dried thyme, optional

You just whisk them all up. Or put all of them in a bottle/jar, then shake them until they are all combined.

For the Salad (you can use whatever fruits and veggies you want here but I used the following fruits in my salad)

Pears, cubed
Mango, cubed
Tomato, thinly sliced
Grapes, cut in half
Red egg, cut in cubes
Crabsticks, cubed or shredded
Kinchay/wansoy
Greens, romaine lettuce is the best

Just arranged them up in a plate and let your guest get what they want on their greens, then let them drizzle the garlic balsamic vinaigrette and then there you go! As easy as that!

  • Onion Salad
The onion salad is kind of a relish best paired with barbecued meat. It has a long shelf life too, just keep it inside the fridge.

You will need:

Onions, thinly sliced (as in thin)
salt
calamansi juice or lemon
sliced chili, optional

You need lots and lots of onions for this one. Slice your onions thinly. When they are all sliced up, place them in the bowl and put lots of salt. You are putting salt to let the onions draw out its pungent onion flavor. Let them hang out there until they water up. Usually takes 15-30 minutes. Then, get a cheese cloth and squeeze your onions. After which, you run the drained and squeezed onions with water to get the extra salt out. Squeeze them again, best if you have a cheese cloth and really squeeze the water out of the onions. Then, pour some calamansi juice over it, and you'll notice the onions will turn into a lovely color red violet color. Keep them in a jar and let them just chill in the fridge until needed.

I hope you guys get to try the recipe and tell me what you think :)

Comments

  1. ooooh yummy food!
    happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile, here's what I get for lunch today.

    http://johnsteven.net/offdomain/1-1-11-lunch.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( That's a pretty sad lunch, John :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna stop catching up on your blog right now and come back when I'm not hungry lol. Damnit, that salad is evil and I don't even like fruit salad!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts