Red Velvet Cake

Made homemade Red Velvet Cake for my brother's birthday and finally got a bite.. okay maybe a slice.. okay fine, two slices. I confessed in my other post that this is actually my very first time to savor a red velvet cake and it did not disappoint. It was absolutely delicious. Maybe I should buy a red velvet cupcake elsewhere just to check if mine tasted the way it really should!



Followed a recipe from Pinch My Salt. Also researched around the net and this exact same recipe was raved about by lots of food enthusiasts. In my mind I knew I picked a foolproof recipe.

Before I go, I need to leave some pointers for those who are newbies at making layered cake:

  • If you are new at baking, I suggest you buy a pair of exact same sized round cake pans. 
  • This Red Velvet Cake recipe requires all the ingredients (especially the butter and cream cheese) to be softened and at room temperature
  • Always sift your dry ingredients (flour, powdered sugar, baking soda, baking powder etc)
  • For the cake not to stick to the pan, butter your cake pans well and lighlty coat all sides with flour. Take out the excess by turning the pans out and patting the pans until the flour is all gone
  • Always let your cake to cool completely before taking it out of the cake pans and before frosting it. Patience, my dear, patience.
  • Frosting - we all know we live in a tropical country and summer now feels like hell, even at night. Most likely, when we make frosting, it will be a bit runny and we don't want to frost a double layer cake when the frosting is runny. Refrigerate the frosting for about 30 minutes then proceed with frosting

ALSO!!!! If you don't have buttermilk... then:

Whole milk + a tablespoon of vinegar = works just fine.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts