Two Salads: Baby Mustard Greens with Orange-Lemon Honey Mustard Vinaigrette and Labanos-Tomato Salad

Radish and baby mustard greens

Balancing a rather fattening meat with two salads. But served with baked bagnet nonetheless. Errr, kinda useless?!? Not really!!! The baking method kind of* lessens the usage of fat especially when meat is concerned. The best way to heat bagnet is to bake them because the fat drips away from the meat! I mean I'd rather bake it than re-fry it again it in oil. YIKES, no way.

Decided to make two salads to even out the fatty and healthy ratio. In all great timing for the salads by the way because my father hand-picked fresh radishes (labanos) and baby mustard greens from my aunt's organic garden last Sunday! Yahoooo! I was frazzled and nervous thought I would have to buy stuff from the supermarket just to have lunch served. I don't like buying another set of produce when I can do something about the stuff in the fridge (like how I was tempted, really tempted to buy them denim shorts in Greenhills but decided to DIY my own denim shorts!! Kuripot or just a wise spender?hehe kuripot much bleh)

Radish and tomato salad

One of the simplest things you can do with radishes is to slice them into thin slices. You may (or may not) choose to take out the bitterness by adding some salt to them, let the juices from the radish draw out, run them over water to take out the saltiness then squueze them out...good. Add some sliced tomatoes. Vinegar, salt, pepper maybe some sugar to taste. Simple, fast, refreshing and doable. I particularly like this with salted egg.


I used this Citron Tea* with bits of pieces of orange peel and honey in it. Used this bottle for a) blending all ingredients for the vinaigrette b) to get extra flavor from that citron tea latak (simut-simutin!!). Added in the jar some lemon juice, olive oil, whole grain dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and that one spanish-style sardine (stuck in the fridge for a month) flaked them. I closed the bottle/jar*, shake them all up, did a little samba dance (duh, kidding) then a creamy sweet, sour vinaigrette is ready to marry those little baby greens. It was a redundant salad! Baby green mustard with mustard in the dressing?!?! Who cares!?! Sophisticated, awesome, who would have thought??


Heart attack is on its way to our lives.
_________
*Kind of - baking, I think, is my favorite way of dealing with meat and veggies. Although I can't exactly say that baking really does lessen the usage of fat. Still depends on the cooking technique and the recipe. But generally, baking is healthier way of cooking stuff.


*Citron Tea is a strange tea from China which, at first glance, looks like a marmalade for your bread. But really it is a jar of sweet marmalade-ish mixture for your tea, OR it is the tea itself. Take a spoonful, put it in your fave teacup then put hot water in it. Delishuuuush much.


*Bottle/jar- to save yourself from an aching arm from beating in olive oil slooooooowly with acidic liquids (lemon/vinegar etc), put all your dressing ingredients in a jar, close the jar, and shake it shake it shake it. Better than a blender, better than whisking! Well, this tip works with olive oil+acidic liquid based dressing.


This is another "Door Knock Dinner" related post.

Comments

Popular Posts